To maximize your stewardship and effectively accomplish your mission, your church needs to have the right operational policies, processes, controls, and financial reporting in place.
CapinCrouse can help. We used our almost 50 years of experience providing audit, tax, and consulting services to churches to create the CapinCrouse Church Checkup™, a comprehensive, customizable analysis of your church’s operational health.
Five Areas of Service to Fit Your Needs
The Church Checkup is designed to empower churches of all sizes with financial insight, objective analysis, and meaningful recommendations. It consists of five areas of service, which can be purchased individually or collectively to meet your specific needs.
Administrative/Governance – We will review your corporate and administrative documents, policies, and information, including:
- Articles of Incorporation and bylaws
- Board and other policies, including gift acceptance, investment, conflict of interest, intellectual property, and record retention and destruction
Internal Controls – We’ll assess your internal control documentation, policies, and procedures to help determine whether you have the appropriate checks and balances in place to safeguard your assets and help prevent fraudulent activity or financial reporting. This includes a review of:
- Contributions, revenue and cash receipts, cash disbursements, and payroll
- Journal entries, vendor approval, and technology user rights
Financial Reporting – We will analyze your financial accounting functions, procedures, and reporting to identify strengths and weaknesses and make suggestions for improvement. This includes:
- Chart of accounts and financial reporting structure
- Key areas such as handling donor-restricted contributions and net assets, fixed assets, and others
Tax Compliance – We’ll review key areas of tax risk and compliance, including:
- Correspondence concerning your exempt status with the IRS and state agencies
- Personnel files and payroll records, including federal and state returns and reports (941s, W-2s, etc.)
- Special areas such as documentation for withholdings, I-9 forms, ordination of ministers, and designation of housing allowances, spousal travel, sales tax, unrelated business income, and other
Church Financial Health Index™ – You will also receive a one-year subscription to this online dashboard of vital measures, ratios, benchmarks, and peer information. We will assist you in preparing and uploading your church’s data, and understanding the results of the reports.
Information and Insight to Help Your Ministry Move Forward
At the end of the checkup, you’ll receive a confidential, customized report with an executive summary of our findings and recommendations, including sample policies and other information. This is intended to address:
- Weaknesses or potential issues
- Areas for improvement
- Action steps and tips based on current best practices