Top Five July 2023 Announcements for Higher Education Institutions
Here is a summary of the top five July 2023 U.S. Department of Education (ED) announcements that apply to higher education institutions:print
- FSA Electronic Announcement GENERAL-23-59, REMINDER – G5 to G6 Website Transition and Login.gov Option Coming Aug. 7, 2023 – ED will transition to a new URL (ed.gov) and home page when G6 replaces the existing G5 website. There will also be a new option to log into the G6 website through Login.gov.
- FSA Electronic Announcement CB-23-12, Information about the Reallocation Process, the 2022–23 Campus-Based Reallocation Form, and the Process to Request Supplemental Federal Work-Study Funds for 2023–24 – This announcement provides information about the reallocation process, where the institution reallocates the unexpended portions of its 2022–23 allocations in the Federal Work-Study (FWS) and/or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) programs or to request supplemental 2023–24 FWS funds.
- FSA Electronic Announcement GENERAL-23-56, FSA Enforcement Bulletin, July 2023 – Nondisclosure Agreements that Prohibit or Limit Employee Communication with the U.S. Department of Education Violate Title IV Regulations – This provides a public announcement that former employees and other personnel who have signed nondisclosure agreements are legally able to communicate with ED about any matter associated with their institutions’ administration of the Title IV programs and any prohibition or limitation on personnel’s ability to do so would violate 34 C.F.R. § 668.24(f).
- FSA Electronic Announcement ANN-23-01, Live Internet Webinars – Better FAFSA Better Future Webinar Series, June–July 2023 (Updated July 11, 2023) – This document lists all the FSA webinars regarding the changes to financial aid for the 24-25 award year. Note: To view the webinar recordings, you must log into the FSA Training Center with a username and password. Then select the “FAFSA Simplification Training and Resources” icon on the home page to locate the recordings and transcripts.
- FSA Electronic Announcement CB-23-13, Operational Information – Reporting Federal Work-Study Earnings to the COD System Using the Campus-Based XML Schema Version 1.0a – We originally reported on this in our May 2023 email alert. As a reminder, institutions have the opportunity to test campus-based processes and software with ED’s Common Origination and Disbursement (COD) website ahead of reporting 2022 calendar-year FWS earnings. ED will begin collecting this data after August 1, 2023, to be used in the 2024–25 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) processing cycle. See the updated announcement for further information.
Please contact us if you have questions or would like to discuss how these announcements apply to your institution.Sign up for e-news and alerts